The New York State Tug Hill Commission is hiring an entry level Planner to provide assistance to local governments in the rural Tug Hill Region in the areas of land use planning, local law development and revision, and general technical support to planning boards and other involved municipal boards.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
• The preparation of town and village comprehensive plans;
• The preparation of zoning laws, subdivision regulations, and other local land use controls;
• The creation of maps and other GIS products in support of planning projects;
• The organization and/or delivery of training workshops for municipal land use officials;
• Other related tasks as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
• Good knowledge of the principles and procedures of planning and related research;
• Ability to exercise sound professional judgment;
• Ability to undertake complex planning and related research work at a high professional level;
• Ability to work on interdisciplinary projects related to community development and natural resources;
• Ability to present oneself well and communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
• Ability to get along well with others, especially local officials;
• Ability to attend evening meetings throughout the Tug Hill Region;
• Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software;
• Proficiency with Geographic Information System (GIS) software;
• Familiarity with governmental procedures, New York State planning and zoning law, and the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA).
• Graduation from a regionally accredited college with Master’s degree in City or Regional Planning; or
• Graduation from a regionally accredited college with Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, City or Regional Planning, Geography, Political Science, Environmental Studies, Landscape Architecture, or related field and two years of full-time paid experience in municipal, county or regional planning or directly related work.
• NYS Driver’s License.
The position of Planner is a Management Confidential (M/C) NYS Grade Equivalent 14. The expected beginning salary is $48,857. The position also includes M/C benefits of health insurance and NYS retirement, as well as other benefits. For more information regarding M/C positions and benefits, see: https://goer.ny.gov/management-confidential-mc
Submit letter of interest and resume to Matt Johnson, Tug Hill Commission, 317 Washington Street, Watertown, NY 13601, email@example.com by May 30, 2019.